Residential Metal Roofs: The Best Option for Your House
Finding the perfect roof material for your home is one of the more onerous tasks for Toronto & Mississauga homeowners, but what if we told you that metal roofs might be the best option for your house. Gone are the days of the non-insulated tin can roof, and instead, today’s metal roofing materials are solid, insulated and of course, many are made in Canada. In this blog, we are going to take a bit of a deep-dive into metal roofing and explore the styles, the materials, and what the normal installation process is for metal & steel roofing. So, let’s jump into it, with some tips and tricks on choosing the right type of roofing material for your home.
Choosing the Right Type of Roofing Material for Your Home
Finding the right type of roofing material for your home can be a bit of a journey. However, to help you on this journey, we have brought together some things to consider when choosing a roofing material that can help narrow down your considerations.
- Are you a member of a community association or condo board? If your home is part of a planned community, you may have certain restrictions put in terms of style, material and look of your roof. This is more common in roofing in Mississauga, but we have seen it around the GTA.
- Toronto gets all types of weather and finding a durable and sturdy roofing material is essential to limit potential costs down the line. Most roofing contractors in Mississauga and the surrounding area suggest investing in a durable roof like a metal roof or asphalt.
- As Toronto gets a mix of rain and snow, it is best to avoid a roofing material that will breed mold and other water-borne issues. Thus, it is best to avoid natural fibers such as wood, as they will rot and will need to be replaced regularly.
- Cost is always a consideration, and some materials are more expensive than others. Asphalt is the cheapest, while slate is the most costly. Most clients prefer a middle option like metal roofing products as they will last for decades, without much upkeep for the cost.
Styles of Metal Roofing
When it comes to metal roofing in Toronto and the surrounding areas, the choice is yours. That is the beauty of this ever-expanding industry; you can find the perfect style from one of the many metal roofing manufacturers in Canada and across North America. Most Canadian metal roofing manufactures will offer the following styles for their clients
Metal shakes are an excellent option for homeowners who are looking for the traditional look of cedar shakes, without the risk of wood rot or chipping. These shakes offer a wide range for colours, and can even emulate wood shakes!
Slate style roofing has been a popular option in the last few years, especially for those of our clients who are looking at residential metal roofing styles. This style is perfect for an A-frame, or a house that is looking for the slate-style, without the expense that comes with slate roofing. It is a win-win, and for metal roofing contractors, this slate-style steel roofing is easy to install!
Metal shingles are a bit of a newer addition to residential metal roof styles, but that does not mean they are not an excellent option for clients. One of the most significant advantages of residential metal roofing is that these shingles have a hard-wearing coating and interlocking edges. These shingles work well to move water and debris from the roof to the gutters with ease and are one of the most protective roofing options on the market.
Standing seam roofs seem to be the norm up in the cottage country, but for roofing contractors in Mississauga, and the rest of the GTA, its popularity has started to pick up down south. These roofs are perfect for roofs that have longer spans, or for properties that have a low sloping style rancher. These roofs are durable and are certainly a bold look that can fit with practically any home.
One of the more modern looks, steel tiles are a sturdy roofing material and will be able to withstand the weather we get here in Toronto. Many Canadian metal roofing manufacturers can make these tiles to be hurricane-proof. With the variety of colours available, this is a great choice a residential metal roofing option.
Metal Roofing Materials
When it comes to finding the best metal roofing for residential homes, the options are endless. There are a ton of types of metal roofing, and here are the most popular.
Best known for its oxidizing, copper metal roof panels are the softest in the industry. The more delicate nature of the metal does mean that it can dent with excessive hail, but it also is a durable and great looking roof. Many consider copper to be the crème de la crème of metal roofs in Toronto, but you will be paying high metal roofing prices for this soft metal.
Although best situated in a coastal climate, aluminum roofing is an excellent option for metal roofing for residential houses. The metal is soft like copper but does offer better protection against corrosion and other issues. However, you will need to invest in a bit of a more robust aluminum panel in the GTA due to our windstorms off the lake.
The most common metal for residential metal roof installation, steel offers a strong and durable roof for a fraction of the cost of copper. There are several steel roofing products and options, and no matter the look you want to have, chances are you can find it with a steel roof. As steel roofing contractors, we love this material, and can customize and make to order to ensure your roof is the ideal roof for your home!
Advantages of Residential Metal Roofing
Metal roofing has several advantages over other traditional roofing materials. Here are just a few of the benefits for our clients here in Toronto and the rest of the GTA.
Metal roofs are in investment, but for many, the cost is outweighed by the years and years of service you will get from this roof. The average metal roof can last between forty and seventy years! This means you will be able to work an ensure career and be well into retirement before you even think of replacing your roof!
It should be no surprise that metal roofs are also one of the most durable roofs on the market. Unlike some of the other roofing materials, many metal roofs are rated to hurricane strength. This means you will not have to worry about summer thunderstorms or microbursts ruining your roofing and causing you to call for a roof repair in Mississauga or the rest of the GTA.
- Energy Savings
When you are looking to limit your carbon footprint, and save some money on your next heating bill, then metal roofs are worth looking into. It has been shown that metal roofs are one of the most energy-efficient roofs on the market. This is because the material can reflect solar heat and can cut down on the loss of air to the environment.
The Installation Process
Although we can speak for all metal roofing companies, our team has a particular metal roofing installation method to ensure our projects are completed on time and budget.
First, our team will prepare the roof and clear out any debris or any other foreign material from the roof. This will allow us to start the residential metal roof installation process with a clean slate.
Secondly, we will start to lay down the barrier layers of the roof. With metal roofs, we always suggest a combination of both moisture and vapour layers. The moisture layer will protect the area from excessive moisture from getting into the home while the vapour layer will ensure that your home does not leak air to the outside environment.
Third, we will start the strapping and ventilation installation. As a metal roofing company, we know that this is one of the most essential parts of our process. Proper ventilation will ensure that your metal roof will be good to go for years. The strapping will allow for the shingles, panels or tiles to be installed on, and will be secured onto the structure of the home.
Finally, we will install the roofing. There are a few types of metal roofing, and the installation is very similar. We will ensure that everything is secured, and this process help showcase why we are one of the best metal roofing options for residential homes.
When you are looking for metal roofs for residential homes, the key is to find the type and style that works for your vision. There are a ton of different styles of metal roofing, and Zim Group LTD is your go-to company here in Toronto & Mississauga. With our phenomenal connections to the best metal roofing manufacturers, you will enjoy factory direct pricing with all of our roofs. If you are interested in a metal roof, now is the time to call the experts at Zim Group LTD and find out how we can deliver a top-notch roof that will last decades!
Metal Roofs - 10 Bonus Facts:
1. Unlike other traditional roofing solutions, metal roofing does not need to be cured in warm weather. This means that there is less of a chance of issues when installing, which leads to a better and long-lasting roof.
2. There are hundreds of colours available for metal roofing clients. Everything from black to traditional wood, today’s metal roof manufacturers have practically every colour under the rainbow covered and more!
3. No matter the style you are looking for, metal roofs come in that style. From shingles to shakes and even slate, the possibilities for metal roofing seem to be practically endless.
4. If local code allows for it, metal roofing can be installed over existing roofing. This means that you might not need to remove your current roof, and instead, you can enjoy all the benefits of a metal roof without the labour of removing your current one!
5. Metal roofs do not attract lightning. You might think that a metal roof would be the perfect spot for lightning to hit, but in fact, there is no additional risk to homes by adding a metal roof. In fact, metal roofs are less combustible then wood or asphalt which can limit the damage if you were to be struck by lightning.
6. Metal roofs do not face issues with insects, fire or rot. As metal does not rot, nor is it a combustible material, the roofs are an excellent option for roofing in Ontario and are practically fireproof!
7. Metal roofs are one of the only roofing types that can work with low slopes. In fact, standing seam roofing is the perfect option for those ranchers and other homes that are facing low slopes. As these panels are secured tightly, you will not have to worry about any leaks or additional water issues down the road.
8. Metal roofs are recyclable. That is right, unlike asphalt or treated wood, in a few decades, you will be able to recycle your metal roof fully!
9. You can use your metal roof to help with heating water. During the summer, you can utilize the reflective power of metal roofs to heat water to supply to your pool or even hot tub. In fact, the White House currently uses a metal roof heating system for some of its water!
10. Metal roofs make moving snow as easy as a push. Metal roofs do not naturally have snow cling to them, and generally, during the winter, snow will fall off these roofs. If you get a massive dump, you can also push, and see your entire roof be snow-free in just a couple of minutes.